Monday, January 9, 2012

Dolly Varden cake

Last year I discovered that AWW had reprinted their classic Children's Birthday Cake Book, which my mum had a copy of when my brothers and I were growing up.  I have fond memories of birthday cakes, from the pool with green jelly, a guitar, train, Castle Greyskull (modelled on the princess castle with grey frosting), a caterpillar, countless numbers and others.  I wonder if I have any old photographs in my childhood albums?


When I found this book at the store I had to get a copy, despite the overflowing shelves I already have of cookbooks and cake books.  This one's a classic!

When my friend Rob's birthday was looming last year, I offered to make him any cake from the book.  Being a bit of a princess he chose the Dolly Varden cake, here's my attempt.



The birthday boy loved his cake, as did all the lovely ladies at the Bingo hall we went to for his birthday celebration.  While carrying in the cake I had many a person come up to me and tell me that they made this cake for their daughter 30+ years ago.  Even the Bingo announcer made a comment over the PA system about our cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment